Stress exists for everyone. One stressor is certain types of people that inhabit your life.
Casey Imafidon has written an illuminating article about removing certain types of stressful people from your life. These people are toxic. They sap energy and positive feeling from your life and detour your adventurous life moving forward. Here are the types with my added descriptors.
- EGOTIST: This arrogant person, full of him/her self tends to make you feel inferior while s/he poisoning the energy in your milieu. No room in the spotlight of life for you.
- ENVIOUS: These jealous types seem to enjoy your down times rather than your victories. They welcome your down times but have difficulty in championing your successes.
- PRETENTIOUS: These people are not capable of being there for you when you need them. They are superficial shallow people who are too busy putting on airs to be there for you.
- RETROGRESSIVE: These people are stuck in their stagnant way of life and do what they can to stifle your progress going forward. They like the old you and are threatened by your movement forward.
- JUDGMENTAL: Nothing is good enough for this type of person. They believe criticizing and scolding is better than praising.
- CONTROLLER: They are devious in trying to twist or out-muscle you to fulfill their desires. You become a pawn in their masterful chess game as they move you around to meet their needs.
- LIAR: You cannot trust these people. In order to grow you need trustworthy people around you who support you with candid and honest opinions.
- GOSSIPER: These insecure people use their tongue to twist facts and distort information. They get attention this way. Don’t turn your back on them or share information that you do not want to be spread around in ways that hurt you.
- PARASITE: These people are only in your life to suck and feed off you. They are users with only self interest in mind.
- VICTIM: They never accept responsibility. They blame and point fingers at others for their misfortune. The “woe is me” theme from them is draining and exhausting.
There may be other types of people in your life that are stressful to you. Look closely! There is some solid research that says you are a composite of the five people closest to you. Select wisely! Start by eliminating the above listed toxic people. If you do so you will have eliminated significant sources of stress and delimiters of your success moving forward.
On the positive side, seek out, find, and nurture relationships with people who bring out the best in you, and you in them. There are so many wonderful people in this world. Be with them!
“The unexamined life is not worth living” Socrates